Saturday, May 7, 2011

When friends mean well...

There is a status going around on fa.cebo.ok at the moment that says..."In honour of mothers day put your babies date of birth and birth weights as your status..." so I did.  Along with many of the othe BLMs I notice.

One of my old school friends has put the status up in reply to mine, with a comment to say "this is for you, B".

I mean.  Um.  Thanks.  I guess.  But seriously, I wonder why she thinks that putting her two LIVING children's details down pays tribute, in any way, to the fact that one of my children listed is dead.  I mean, I do really appreciate that she tried to do something nice.  I guess to acknowledge my own pain.  But seriously?  I really like this person, and we only reconnected just before Ciaran was born.  She came to his funeral, which really touched me. 

But sometimes the actions of people who care, are just really so far off the dollar.  And somehow, we're supposed to smile and say thankyou.

Or sometimes it's just easier to say nothing at all.

2 comments:

  1. Ugh so true B. Some people just don't get it... at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you, I don't know how mentioning living children helps with the pain of losing a child. I don't think some people will ever "get" it. And dealing with pleasantries makes it just as hard too. So sorry you have to deal with this.

    xo

    ReplyDelete