Monday, June 27, 2011

Toby talk...

I don't know if it's simply me being a mama, or if it's more a case of me being a paranoid, control freak, over thinking, second guessing rainbow baby mama but I need a reason for everything and I need to know it's normal.  And that makes it so much more OK.

I have been like it from the start.  In hospital I had one particular midwife who was on nights for the first three and her answer to everything I said to her was "pfft!  Normal!" but in a lovely, caring, off the cuff kind of way.  I loved her.  Whilst every other midwife felt the need to change something a-gainnnn, this one just said "pfft!  It's normal!!". 

Right now, these days, a couple of the things that I'm struggling with, with young Toby, is sleep and crying.  The crying I'm attributing to either acid reflux or (and?) belly ache/wind/colic.  Sometimes you can hear the reflux, and sometimes it comes with a huge big chunky puke where I fully expect to see peas and carrots.  A lot of the time he's a "happy chucker", but then other times it breaks your heart the way he stops, pauses and then the face breaks down and the sobs start. 

"That hurt so bad, mama".

We've been to the GP who was no help at all, except to give me a script that I requested for Zantac.  We tried it, it didn't seem to help much, and Toby hated it so much that in the end it invoked tears even if there was no reflux!  So I gave it up.  Now though I'm wondering if it's worth trying to ride out or whether I'm being a nasty mama to not demand a script for the stronger meds.

So, I need to find someone else who can just say "pffft.  Normal!".

As for the sleeping, I ran into an acquaintance the other day and she asked about his sleeping.  I "complained" that he was a brilliant night sleeper but didn't want to sleep during the day.  She laughed and I suddenly realised how ridiculous that sounds.  I loooovve the fact that he is a brilliant night time sleeper.  He's just gotten even better in this past week and has started a pretty good "routine" of bed around 7ish, dream feed around 11.30pm and then not a peep until around 6.30am.  Sometimes it's not quite that, but it's been 4 hourly from birth and (touch wood) I've never had a night of walking the floor (yet).

Daytime though?  Catnapper!  He gave up the day sleeps very early on.  Not completely, but they just don't come easily.  When he first gave them up I was able to put him to bed and he would just quietly lay there, even if he didn't sleep.  Not any more though.

And tonight I read Lori's post and got that "pfft!  Normal!" and sighed a sigh of relief.  I read the post to Shane and he laughed and said yep.  That's our boy too.  He's pretty easy to read most of the time now - he wakes, he has boobie, I give him some play time or bath time or whatever it is we're up to, until he gives me tired signs.  Then I change his nappy, give him more booby, wrap him, give him a couple of rocks and pop him into bed.  I tell him I won't be far away and that it's his sleep time.  I hang Jilly Giraffe over the cot to keep him company and he locks eyes with her. 

And 1/2 hour later he calls me.  "Sleeps over now mama".

He's pretty reliable for it.  But oh I have so much I need to do and achieve so what I would give for him to do a couple of hours.

Ahh.  But there's the reminder.  A catnap is certainly better than forever sleeping.  Grateful for catnaps then.

No comments:

Post a Comment