Thursday, April 7, 2011

2 days old - a photographic post...

Our second night in hospital, Shane wasn't there so I was doing it solo.  Toby wasn't a happy camper.  I was a bit lost as a new mum, and being pulled from pillar to post with four shifts of midwives changing things on me a day.  One of my sanity savers was a night midwife by the name of Debbie, who was on every night for the first four nights I was in.  Rather than tell me to do things her way, like every other midwife did, she had the simple answer of "pffft.. normal!". 

On this night, Toby wouldn't settle.  It was perhaps two or three in the morning.  I wasn't all that stressed out, but I was certainly desperate for sleep.  Debbie's solution?  Put him in bed with you!  Not something that I would have been comfortable with, with SIDS risks and all of that.  But she popped the side of the bed up, so he couldn't fall out, and set us up!  It was my first real experience of 'baby gazing', as we lay there in the dim light.  Toby lay looking at me, and I lay looking at him.  The next thing I knew, it was seven am, and Shane was arriving.  Toby and I had a solid four hours sleep!!  Nice one :)

No comments:

Post a Comment