The million dollar question.
Just a quick update for those who might be around. Might be wondering.
We moved. We're here, in the new house. There are boxes everywhere. Bits of furniture peeking out from underneath. Boxes marked office in the kitchen, and boxes marked kitchen in the guest room.
Beggars can't be choosers. The ILs came to help us do it. It's my husband's way of helping.. bring in his parents. Rather than get off the couch and help me himself. Oops did I say that out loud? In his defence he did have a heck of a lot to deal with outside, with moving all the chook cages and dog cages and such, but he isn't the most motivated or organised fella, and the nice thing (for him) was that with his mother here he was able to continue to "knock off" come dark time, eat a meal and go to bed.
His wife (aka me) on the other hand hasn't really been to sleep before 1am for probably three weeks now. "Up" time is any time after 6am, and there is one wake up at least to deal with in between. I am exhausted to say the least, but when you hit that level the answer isn't just to "have an early night".
We have a holiday to the west lined up for April. Bring it on.
:::
Oh, but that means my nightmare ILs will be back to house sit for us. Don't get me wrong.. I do actually really like my ILs. But a little goes a long way in times of stress, in a small house where we are on top of one another, and when she just.doesn't.listen.
But we got packed up in the end. My one am mornings finished off with a two thirty am one, so that I could seal her boxes, move them into an organised and stacked position, and see what hadn't been done so I could do that too! Tensions were high, and Shane tells me I'm not currently the favourite DIL.
I found though, that this time round I just don't have the patience for pussy footing. I don't know if it's "dead baby" or if it's "subsequent live baby", but whatever it is I have a much shorter fuse and am a lot more direct. I'm still polite as it's not in me to be rude.
All is "good" at the house. It's divine to have a proper house again. Nice big rooms. Room to move. Toby is having a ball crawling around. On the down side he has hit the clingy stage, and with me needing to move between rooms doing things, and not being able to let him follow me because the other places aren't baby proofed... well, there is a very sad child at times. Poor baby.
:::
But in among all of the changes I've had some very low, low, low down times.
I found a box of baby toys that were packed up from the first house, never unpacked due to room constrictions in the next house, and now Toby is too big for them really. Sad enough in anyone's little one's world. As my MIL said... he won't miss them. Except that these were toys I had bought for Ciaran. Another child, another place, another time. Heart ache.
I'm struggling with setting up Toby's room here. I only realised today that I think the problem is around the fact that I had a nursery that I enjoyed setting up. It was for baby Ciaran. And it was never taken down, but was "enhanced" for another baby that didn't come, and then for Toby. Except we moved house before Toby "enjoyed" it either. And now I have a room that is for Toby. I get to set it up all.for.Toby. Except I don't know where to start. It's not a baby's room any more. He's turning very quickly into a little boy.
:::
And now? I need to sleep. Not much of a blog update. I'll have to get to it another time when I can think. Perhaps in about twenty one years.
Well I'm glad you updated as I was thinking about you early this evening and wondering how the house move had gone (ick hope that doesn't all kind of stalker-y!)
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that the move went ok and I'm sorry about the ILs. I think I'm also a lot more direct these days. In fact, my husband asked me the other days if I was ever going to go back to being nice. Probably not, was the response that he got!
That last little segment, about setting up the room just for Toby, made me cry. I'm about to move my own little boy, one month younger than Toby, to his own room. And I'm just so sad and heartbroken all over again, in a strange way, because he isn't a baby anymore really. He's also growing up into a little boy and I'll probably never have another baby and I'll always miss my little girl who didn't make it. And I'll never get to set up a nursery in pure joy and anticipation, not like I would have done for the girls, not like the nursery you set up for baby Ciaran. Sigh.
Hope you get some sleep xo
Glad to see you're in your new house Bir. I've been checking daily! Moving is always shite. And help from people who don't realise you're the "boss" (seriously, you stuff, your house, your rules) make it all the more difficult. And your patiences seems endless especially with hubby. I'd scream my lungs off if Craig sat down and let me get on with it. Really. Hope you settle in well. (Just think of my boxes and boxes of stuff in our garage for Freyja, nope, then Kees, a little, then Jet, nope, and now? I don't know.)
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you have got moved - I'm sorry it had its fair share of stress. Exhaustion is a killer isn't it? I find exhaustion tips into very low moods, grief and mild depression and it's hard.
ReplyDeleteI hurt with you for the nursery / Toby's room. We didn't have a room for Emma - never got that far with the logistics and Toby is still in with us due to lack of space but I'm already recognising that *if* we are able to move, setting up a room for him will not be emotionally straightforward.
Stopping by (and actually writing something - miracle!) wondering how you are settling in. I hope all of the cooking items made it to the kitchen by now :)
ReplyDeleteThinking of you :)